Antiviral medications are used to treat numerous infections caused by virus pathogens. When used they either affect the virus reproduction or stop the particles from spreading across the host cells. The antiviral medicines come as creams, tablets, injections etc for use. Some of the most common infections are throat/mouth infections, common cold, flu, chicken pox and herpes.
You can buy antiviral medication online with AllDayMed or in retail stores with or without prescription depending upon the drug.
Overview Of Viral Infections
Viruses are pathogens made of DNA/RNA and protein material that cannot reproduce on their own and need other life forms to multiply. They can be found in plants or animals and even micro-organisms, relying on their resources for survival. The infections may occur due to direct contact through coughing, sneezing, inhaling or touching contaminated surfaces; and also indirectly by means such as virus ridden food or insect bite. Antiviral medications are best when used early into the spread of infection.
The viral infections occur when a host is infected by a virus pathogens or viral particles attack and attaches itself to it. The common protocol of a virus when it enters the host’s body is to intrude into a cell and replicate the RNA or DNA it is made of. Once sufficient replications are produced, this assembly of virus particles break out and spread to other cells across the body, coalescing into a viral infection.
There are different kinds of viral infections, some such as smallpox, common cold are limiting and may not need medical attention. While the infections like HIV, hepatitis B, ebola virus need clinical treatment to treat the virus pathogens.
The diagnosis of a viral infection may be based on the exhibiting physical symptoms of joint pain, flu effects, fever and skin rash among others. Imaging detection, antigen testing, nucleic testing, viral culture and serology are also used to identify the infections.
How Do Antiviral Medications Work?
Antiviral medications work by impacting different aspects of virus infection that progresses the condition and alleviating the symptoms while the immune system recovers from the condition. This is when the medicine:
- Interferes with the ability of virus to bind and enter the host cells
- Inhibits the DNA/RNA synthesis of virus material
- Interferes with the protein synthesis inside virus cells.
These measures allow to stop the virus reproduction and prevent the cells from spreading to other healthy cells in the body, curbing the infection gradually.
What are the side effects of Antiviral Medications?
- The side effects of antiviral medications range widely and represent themselves uniquely in each person. Side effects in general do not cause much trouble as they recede back to normal, when the medicine is used up in the body. In rare cases, the medications can cause life-altering adverse reactions. Hence, caution and vigilance is to be exercised. If you are uncertain or wary of side effects that you experience, talk to your doctor.
- Before you get antiviral medications online, it is wise to talk to your doctor or a pharmacist for side effects that may result from using that specific medicine and ways to endure them.
- The common side effects reported are: headache, fever, nervousness, nausea, vomiting, tiredness, body pains and diarrhea etc.
What are some examples of Antiviral Medications?
Given the numerous viruses that exist and are capable of infecting humans or other beings, different viral medications are available to combat these pathogens. Some of the commonly used antiviral medicines are provided below:
This is an antiviral used to treat and prevent Influenza A and B. It is commonly administered in the first 48 hrs of infection for effective prevention of the complications that are likely to develop. It works by inhibiting the influenza's neuraminidase enzyme and keeps it from releasing new virions out of the cell surface.
This is an antiretroviral used to treat and prevent HIV/AIDS infections. It works by binding to the HIV protease and keeping it from reproducing mature cells that may cause infection.
This is a broad spectrum antiviral medication for a range of virus pathogens and was originally conceived for treating hepatitis C. This is administered through injection into the vein for therapy.
This is used for influenza caused by type A influenza virus. It also helps with dyskinesia in parkinsonism. It works by attacking the M2 protein in influenza virus and paralyzing it from producing any viable virions due to impaired replication and exocytosis.
This is an analogue antiviral used to combat infections caused by herpes viruses such as genital infections, cold sores and shingles. However this does not prevent the infections from recurrence. This medicine comes in the form of tablets for consumption and used to mitigate the symptoms.
How to generally prevent viral infections?
- One of the most effective and simplest means to prevent viruses is through washing your hand with soap or sanitizers at regular intervals.
- Vaccines for specific or broad spectrum viruses are also a great way to build the immune system for fighting potential viruses that may enter the body.
- Treating your fruits & vegetables before consumption with a mild chemical agent can eliminate any viral pathogens present.
- Consume food that is safe sources and prepared in well maintained and sanitized conditions.
- Covering your nose and mouth while sneezing and coughing, can highly reduce the spread of viral particles into your surroundings.
- Protect yourself from insect bites of ticks, mosquitoes and other arthropods for potential viral infections which may transmit.
- In times of a viral pandemic, avoid social gatherings and try to isolate yourself to the best of your convenience.
How to use the Antivirals Medication?
- The use of the Antivirals Medication should be strictly guided by a doctor with proper review of one’s health condition.
- Before you buy antiviral medications online or otherwise, it is advised to talk to your doctor or a pharmacist beforehand for advice on getting the right and authentic product for your condition.
- Talk to your doctor about your medical history and current drug use, that may interfere with your treatment using antivirals.
- Read the label on the product for directions or ask your doctor in order to use the medicine in a safe and effective way.
- If you are on long term treatment, seek regular health evaluations for any body changes and monitor for complications that may arise along the course of treatment.
- Some medications are not safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding, check if your medicine has similar or related warnings.
- If you missed a dose take it whenever you remember on a priority basis. Avoid double dosing to prevent any side effects that may follow
- If you suspect an overdose, talk to your doctor or emergency service. As this may lead to adverse side effects that may prove fatal to your body.