Things to Know About Sildenafil Citrate
Sildenafil citrate, or Viagra, treats ED or erectile dysfunction in men.
Moreover, it also helps the man to get and maintain an erection for a certain time, whereby it boosts the blood flow in the male sexual organ, the penis.
The high blood flow allows the penis to get an erection, and with the help of Sildenafil citrate, the erection is maintained.
How to Use Sildenafil Citrate?
As mentioned earlier, Sildenafil citrate or Viagra is used to stimulate erection in men during sexual intercourse. However, there is a certain way one needs to use it.
This drug is specifically used to treat erectile dysfunction. Mostly, Sildenafil citrate is consumed orally.
Usually, doctors prescribe consuming it for half an hour and no more than four hours before sexual intercourse.
The best time to take it is an hour before sexual activity. Apart from that, it should be consumed only once daily after meals.
Doctors recommend avoiding taking it after a high-fat meal. The high-fat food can limit or delay the functioning of the drug.
Before consuming this drug, you should always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Sildenafil citrate needs to be consumed through a strict procedure, depending on your diet, lifestyle, other medications, health conditions, and response to the drug itself. Thus, taking proper advice is always necessary.
Dosage of Sildenafil Citrate
Since this medication is used for treating erectile dysfunction, here are the standard dosage terms for adults.
- If you are aged below 65 years, you can consume up to Generic Sildenafil 50 milligrams per day but only once. For maximum action, consume this drug an hour before sexual activity.
- If you are aged above 65 years, the prescribed dosage for Sildenafil citrate is 25 milligrams per day for once. Similar to the other dosage, consume this an hour before sexual intercourse to get the best results.
Side Effects of Sildenafil Citrate
As with every other drug, Sildenafil citrate too has some side effects. Although these side effects are pretty mild under prescribed dosage, if you go on an overdose, these side effects can be dangerous, hard to treat, and, in some cases, lethal. Here are some of the common side effects.
- Stomach upset
- Changes in vision
- Blurred vision
- Malfunctioning of eyes' color reception, i.e., the person may be unable to distinguish between blue and green colors
- Blindness (a rare condition)
- Pain in chest, arm, and jaw regions
- Decrease in hearing or ringing of the ears
- A prolonged and painful erection lasting over 4 hours
- Allergic reactions such as rashes, swelling, breathing issues
The side effects of dizziness or lightheadedness can be treated naturally by getting up slowly from a sat or laid position. Moreover, fainting and chest pain can be side effects if you are a heart disease patient experiencing discomfort while having sexual intercourse.
Under very rare conditions, can you be blinded from interacting with this drug? The chances of this condition are increased if you have heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, any eye disease, are a chain smoker or are above the age of 50 years.
If you face any discomfort or enhanced side effects by consuming Sildenafil citrate, stop the usage and consult your doctor immediately. While these are not all the possible side effects, if you face anything serious apart from these after the drug interaction, immediately check with your physician.
Precautions Before Taking Sildenafil Citrate
As mentioned earlier, you should consult your doctor before consuming Sildenafil citrate. They would check you for any allergic reactions, past drug interactions, medical history or any major organ-related diseases.
They would also check the external and internal condition of the penis for any symptoms that can be potentially dangerous from the drug interactions, like prolonged or painful erection, fibrosis, angulation and others.
The doctor might also advise you not to use this drug if you smoke or consume alcohol or marijuana.
In the case of pregnancy, consult your doctor regarding its usage, benefits, and risks. Moreover, do not suddenly stop the use unless your doctor advises you to. This can lead to profound health implications if not consumed properly.
Once the doctor finds all lines clear, they can prescribe the usage of Sildenafil citrate. Make sure to keep this drug away from children and animals.
Drug Interactions of Sildenafil Citrate
Taking Sildenafil citrate without proper consultation or prescription can be detrimental to your health. Moreover, it is advised not to start, stop or change the dosage if consuming without your doctor's advice.
Do not use Sildenafil citrate if you are already taking the following drugs.
- If you regularly consume drugs that have nitrates in them. For example, nitrate-related medications like nitroglycerin, isosorbide, or recreational drugs like poppers that contain amyl nitrate, amyl nitrite or butyl nitrite can be extremely dangerous if consumed with Sildenafil citrate. The combination can cause the blood pressure level to fall exponentially, leading to fainting, heart attack or stroke.
- If you are using alpha-blocker medications, you should not consume Sildenafil citrate. This, too, can lead to a sudden drop in the blood pressure level.
- Other drugs like antibiotics or antifungal medications can also have adverse reactions with Sildenafil citrate.
If you encounter discomfort or uncanny reactions, immediately consult your doctor. They might either tell you to stop the usage of Sildenafil citrate or change the dosage to minimize negative drug interactions.
Sildenafil citrate or Suhagra 100mg is a popular medication doctors prescribe to treat an ever-growing sexual problem in men, erectile dysfunction. Over years of trial and research, Sildenafil citrate has been found to treat erectile dysfunction pretty well and safely. Apart from erectile dysfunction, this medication is also used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Using this drug under proper consultation and prescription can significantly benefit the person. However, this drug, like all other drugs, can have certain mild side effects which can be eventually treated. Regulated and proper usage can eliminate any risk associated with the consumption of Sildenafil citrate.